The Keanes bring their life-long passion for the arts to an entirely new level, and we invite you to share the experience.
The Legacy portrait is different than anything before offered by Keane Studios. It is the distillation of 48 years of expertise, capturing the nuances of light and expression at every age, and concludes with a magnificent art piece which will grace your home for years and generations to come. Along the way, important elements are added:
- Every portrait is created by Bill personally.
- Specific days are set aside just for Legacy portraits.
- Artwork for every piece is personally added by Mary Keane, an artist and art historian in her own right.
- Each finished art piece is personally printed and finished by the Keanes to their satisfaction before framing.
- Certified archival printing means portraits will remain brilliant for a century.
- Only museum quality frames are paired with Legacy portraits.
- Each finished piece 24" and larger will be brought to your San Diego home and hung by professional art installer Lizz Lang.
The Genesis of the Legacy Portrait
Bill Keane was fortunate to grow up in a family which traveled extensively, and lived in Pasadena, the home of the Huntington Library, home of so many classic portraits. As a child he grew to appreciate the art he saw at the Huntington and other destinations on family travels.
As his interest in photography grew, enhanced by his formal studies in Classical art and literature, he also developed an interest in portrait painting, especially studying the work of Sargent, Renoir, Cassat and Rockwell. Subsequent trips to galleries in the Louvre and Orsay, the Getty, the British Museum and Chicago Art Museum gave him the opportunity to absorb how other portraitists created their looks.
His early photographic career, too, instilled in him the values of composition as well as simple but effective lighting in the creation of portraits. Work with masters like Phillip Stewart Charis, Monte Zucker and Dean Collins honed his vision. Instructing other photographers around the continent, writing for the prestigious PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER and earning the title of Craftsman Photographer taught Keane the value of studying his craft.
The loss of his parents while in his twenties made him realize early on the personal value of the portrait. After decades of creating memories of weddings, families, children and high school seniors, Bill has returned to his true love - the classic portrait. We invite you to join the experience.